Monday, August 17, 2009

Welcome to the Fold




Last night, during the last round of whatever PGA golf match was happening, I heard a loud buzzing sound that was followed by a boom. Since I was busy treadling my wheel, the obvious loss of power was meaningless to me. Many of my endeavors require absolutely no energy besides that which I provide. My son who’d been lying on the sofa watching the match took things more personally. There was a bit of mild cursing, a rush to grab his keys and he took off to find someone who didn’t have to, “live like a pilgrim.” I kept right on spinning. I was on to something new I’d never done, and I was excited with what my wheel and hands were producing.

I’ve never spun from the fold before. I’ve never really needed to do that, but with the merino/tencel blend I was using (from my new stash purchased at the fiber festival), I was having a really hard time drafting this yarn. I made a call to a fellow spinner who reminded me of this technique I’d seen once, but had never done. I was so busy trying not to make twisty cord of my roving that day that I didn’t pay much attention during circle. Inspired, I hung up and logged onto YouTube for a video of the technique. Thirty seconds later, I was making what I think will be some very pretty yarn. I love YouTube and I’m appreciative of the artists who take the time to video and post techniques like this.


At 10 PM, it was pitch black in the neighborhood. A quick discussion with DTE Energy let me know I had about another hour and a half wait time for the transformer to be replaced. It was a bit warm, but I wasn't about to open the windows to let the rather humid air indoors. So I waited and continued to spin in the relative dark with only the light of a little flashlight. You know, this pilgrim stuff isn't half bad.

6 comments:

debra said...

sounds like a meditative experience.
beautiful fiber

Glennis said...

You must have some pioneer spirit in you! Or maybe you were just enjoying yourself.

Rudee said...

Well Glennis, seeing as I'm not much of an outdoorsy kind of girl, I must have just been enjoying myself.

Debra-it's very zen like and so exciting to do new techniques.

MRS MJW said...

Mmmmm...what pretty yarn!

Rudee said...

Thank you Mrs. It's so shiny, too.

kanishk said...

You must have some pioneer spirit in you! Or maybe you were just enjoying yourself.

Domain registration india